I have not read any of these three books but I am very interested in the subject matter.
Nobel Prize Winner Peter Doherty explains in a question and answer form exactly what a pandemic is and its causes. Doherty also explains that the accelerated spreading of a pandemic is primarily through respiratory viruses such as SARS and influenza. I am interested in understanding this in more detail after reading Spillover by David Quammen.
This book tells the story of Lou Volpe, who was the theater director at Harry S. Truman High School in Levittown, PA, a blue-collar town that had been on the decline since the 1960’s. The book addresses what a dedicated and visionary teacher can do in the motivation of students and how lives can be changed. Looks like a great read!!!
Being a county commissioner funding our public schools in Madison County, TN, I am extremely interested in reading about public education and solutions that are working not just in America but overseas as well. I am planning on purchasing this with the intent on finding something to pass along to our School Board.
- 30 Issues: Diane Ravitch on School Reform (wnyc.org)
- Fascinated by Contagion (insideview.ie)
- New Books Party: books received this week | @GrrlScientist (theguardian.com)
- Why You Shouldn’t Kiss a Pig (motherjones.com)
- So dudes. There’s this book. (thatlunchboxgirl.wordpress.com)